Constantly examining contemporary themes using classical techniques, Dillai focuses on nature-based subject matter extending from trees, seascapes and shrubs to water. She also captures everyday lives of people and nudes on canvass.
This artist pays particular attention to moods and textures. Everything from dirt on the road to gnarled barks of trees, from wistful expressions to weather worn skin are portrayed to perfection.
Her spectrum of work embodies our surroundings, creating a context to communicate climate change and human relationships with the environment. Moreover, she is actively involved in projects on protecting nature.
Dillai’s passion for art exploded in 2000 when she was privately tutored by Nadine David for over a decade and later with Royden Gibbs. She has also studied at the Communication Design at Curtin University in Perth, Australia and the Chartered Institute of Marketing UK.
Advertising being her profession, Dillai is a Creative Director who has given life to award winning work, handling both multinational and boutique brands. Having worked at several reputed advertising agencies in the country, she has done stints at Grey Worldwide as an Art Director, Minds FCB (Foote Cone and Belding) as Creative Director and Words Advertising as Creative Director. She has now co-founded The Next Big Think, a boutique creative agency which handles many brand building projects in advertising. Art is naturally interwoven into her work in Sri Lanka, whilst she has been entrusted with several commissioned projects overseas.
– SOLO EXHIBITIONS –
- “People, Puddles, Paradise” in 2015 at the Lionel Wendt Art Gallery.
- “Soulscapes” in 2018 at the Lionel Wendt Art Gallery.
– GROUP EXHIBITIONS –
- 2002 with Nadine David – Harold Peiris Gallery
- 2017 “Cinnamon Colomboscope”, Multidisciplinary art festival – Sanni Project
- 2017 “Art space”, Saskiya Fernando Gallery.
- 2018 &2019 – Galle Literary Festival Art Trail
- 2018 “Feminism and Sri Lanka’s woman’s identity”, P1F Art studio.
- 2018 & 2019 Senior Artist Exhibition, George Keyte Foundation.
- 2019 “Festival for our planet”
- 2020 Crimson Art Gallery artist.
- 2020 “Artra Canvas”
– AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS –
- A part of the special project ‘Coral restoration’ spearheaded by the International Olympic Committee. A commissioned piece is currently displayed at the Headquarters of the International Olympic Committee in Geneva.
- Her painting on ‘Protect what is left’ was also the cover of the international Asian Magazine ‘Blue Lotus’ where she was featured as a promising artist.
- Participated in mentoring programs, judging panels for art competitions and was awarded The Artist of the Year in her school.
– ADVERTISING AWARDS –
- The coveted Campaign of the Year at the Chillies Awards in 2008
- Recognition for Radio work for Alpenliebe at the Reggie Candappa Awards in 2008
- Effie Awards Silver in 2013 (TV)
- Effie Awards Bronze in 2014 (TV)
HER WORK IS DISPLAYED AT:
Geneva -International Olympic Committee headquarters
Artist, Designer and Creative Director